Board Meeting Minutes: 10/11/14

Board Meeting Saturday October 11, 2014 10am
Lower Lake Schoolhouse Museum
Officers & Directors present: Voris Brumfield, John Parker, Bonnie Skee, Jackie Ridgel, Kevin Ness, Phil Smoley, Val Onellion & Nick Voegtly.
Committee Chairs & Guests present: George Stimson, Kevin Engle & Vonn Fuqua.
Voris brought the meeting to order at 10:09am & led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Minutes: The minutes of the August 9, 2014 were opened for discussion. John moved to approve as written, Jackie 2nd and the motion carried.
Kevin E asked if we could get a copy of the agenda prior to board meetings. Voris said that would not be possible however she could put it on facebook.
Nice Clubhouse: We again received a bill from Lake County Waste Solutions. John will arrange for them to pick up the can and discontinue the service. We also received a bill from Advanced Security for the alarm system. We had been told that Patricia Wilson had taken care of cancelling that service and that we were even going to get a refund. Voris will handle the alarm situation.
Everything needs to be out of the clubhouse by November 1st. Phil, John, Jackie and others will meet next Saturday to accomplish that. The player piano will be taken to Ely Stage Stop and George will take one piano. The piano that Kevin Engle acquired may need to go back to the family that donated it. Kevin will contact the donors.
Most of the items from the clubhouse have been moved to TNT Storage in Kelseyville along with items taken to the Ely Stage Stop & Gibson Museum. Gibson Museum has a temperature controlled room. We have been paying $20 per month for the storage facility and that may have recently increased to $40 per month. Neither Greg Dills nor our Treasurer, Coleen Blakey, was in attendance so we are not sure. The group would like to know if there would be a larger discount if we paid annually. Phil has a storage shed we can use temporarily if necessary.
The shed at the Nice location may be moved to Ely. Voris will let the County know that whatever is left, they can have.
Treasurers Report: Coleen sent a report to all of us due to the fact that she could not attend the meeting. We recently received donations of $525 as a direct result of the lifetime member letter that Voris sent.
John would like to move approximately $40,000 from our bank account to put in an investment account for the Ely Stage Stop that has done well for his family. The dividend on that amount would be about $5500 per year. Voris suggested possibly a portion of that. We need to determine how much of the funds in our account are for Ely. John agreed to be in charge of the account and monitor it. Jackie moved to put John in charge of that and to authorize our Treasurer to transfer the funds upon request, Val seconded and it was approved.
District Directors: Bob Kauffman submitted his resignation as District 1 Director. We will need to fill that position with someone that lives in that area. District 4 will be up for nomination and Phil Smoley said he is willing to stay on in that position.
Directors need to call members 3 weeks before our general meetings. Kevin E agreed to call the District 1 members for the upcoming Thanksgiving dinner.
Website: George said he is a little behind getting items on the website but everything seems to be working fine.
Ely Stage Stop & Country Museum: The Blacksmith barn permit has been applied for and Greg is just waiting on the planning department.
The Fiddlers Jam donations are approximately $145 per month. John said the cost to run Ely is about $400 per month. That figure does not include insurance. Nick suggested a budget for the Historical Society, Ely & Gibson. We have no internet access at Ely at this time and need a wi-fi printer/copier.
The plaque for Randy Ridgel is ready and we need a date to have the dedication. Jackie will check with her family and let us know.
Events: Val reported that she made a deposit of $384 of which $339 were book sales from the Pear Festival, which was the best event this year. Val advised Phil that we need to make a book order, which he is aware of. Val was concerned about the Ely gas expenditures. She believes we need to revise the events as we are in need of fundraisers such as silent auctions & opportunity drawings.
There is a workshop on October 25th at Mendocino College, Lakeport on fundraisers from 9:30am to 12:30pm. The cost is $25 per person and the contact person is Wilda Shock.
Val would like to have some kind of event at Hoberg’s Resort next year.
Books: Phil gave each of us a very detailed book inventory report. Our book sales at the Lake County Fair totaled $301. Val will check with Twin Pines Casino to see if they are interested in selling our books. The events for next year will probably be Earth Day, Wild West Daze, Austin Park, Pear Festival and the LC Fair.
Digitalization: Kevin E will discuss scanning Mauldin’s notes with Linda Lake. A discussion ensued about Kevin taking the Pomo’s that a Gibson volunteer had been scanning. Voris explained that he should have discussed this with other officers before removing those items as there was no emergency. Val was upset with Kevin and Jackie told him that the LCHS does not operate that way. The Pomo’s are currently in Kevin’s car.
Kevin felt that he was in charge and he had the right to do it. Voris advised no member has the right to remove any items without approval.
Membership: Nick reported that we have 363 members of which 113 are lifetime members. He also passed out a survey that will be sent to members in the Pomo asking for their input.
Gibson Museum: Bonnie moved to change the signers on the bank account to the following:
Voris Brumfield – LCHS President
Pattie Hicks – Gibson President/Chair
Cheryl Higgins – Treasurer
Fred Castaldo – Financial Reports
Val seconded and all were in agreement.
The Gibson yard sale was a success as they made over $1000. Twin Pine Casino has offered their event tent for Gibson’s 1st year anniversary event early May 2015.
Vonn is still waiting for the rest of the job descriptions.
Our Thanksgiving dinner meeting will be November 16, 2014 at the Live Oak Senior Center in Clearlake Oaks. The price will be $15 for members and $18 for guests. Bernie Butcher, owner of the Tallman Hotel & Blue Wing Saloon, will speak on the “History of Upper Lake”.
Meeting adjourned at 1:25pm.
Respectfully submitted,
Bonnie Skee
Recording Secretary

Meeting Minutes: 2/8/14

Board Meeting – February 8, 2014
Nice Clubhouse, 3000 Lakeshore Blvd, Nice, CA

Officers and Directors present: Voris Brumfield, Catherine Quistgard, John Parker, Bonnie Skee, Jackie Ridgel, Nick Voegtly, Phil Smoley, Floraine Chalk, Kevin Ness, Patricia “Trish” Wilson & Bob Kauffman.

Committee Chairs present: Kevin Engle, Greg Dills, Val Onellion, Tony Marchese, George Stimson & Lee Cook on behalf of Jan Cook.

Guests present: Vonn Fuqua & Pam Hendricks.

Our new President Voris Brumfield brought the meeting to order at 10:10am. Trish Wilson led the Pledge of Allegiance and introductions were made.

The minutes of the November 2, 2013 board meeting and the November 10, 2013 general meeting were opened for discussion. John moved to approve, Trish 2nd & all approved.

Voris provided each of us with a 2014 Event Schedule which includes board meetings, general membership meetings and events. Phil was asked to arrange for a speaker for our next general meeting March 23rd at the Lakeport Courthouse Museum.

Treasurers Report: Bonnie gave the treasurers report in the absence of our Treasurer, Linda Lake. Our 2013 income for the LCHS was $15,847. Income from Ely was $5,174 and Gibson brought in $20,609. The expenses for the Historical Society were $12,638.79. Ely’s expenses were $12,150.12 and Gibson’s expenses were $665.93. Linda also provided us with a profit and loss statement for 2013.

Our bank account balance in our money market account as of the end of 2013 was $74,626.26 and our working account bank balance was $8,250.77. Linda does not have a definite balance left in the Ely fund however at the end of 2012 that balance was $59,135.61. Approximately $5-$6000 was spent in 2013 for Ely buildings and improvements

Linda Lake also submitted a letter of resignation effective May 1, 2014 due to other commitments.

Trish moved to authorize the treasurer to write checks for events when necessary, Bonnie 2nd and all approved. Floraine has a money box she will give to Val for events.

Per our by-laws the following will be signers on our Bank accounts:

Voris Brumfield – President
Catherine Quistgard – 1st Vice President
John Parker – 2nd Vice President
Linda Lake – Treasurer
Bonnie Skee – Recording Secretary

John made a motion that Ely & Gibson become satellite book outlets of the Historical Society. The money will then come back to the HS treasurer. Catherine 2nd and a discussion about who gets credit for book sales ensued. It was determined that each group will get credit for their sales but the funds go into the HS bank account. The books have been moved to Phil’s office in Lakeport.

District Director Kevin Ness is interested in having his business be a wholesale outlet for our books. He will work with Phil Smoley who is our Books chair to arrange that.

The following are committee chairs:

Books: Phil Smoley
Nice Clubhouse: Trish Wilson & Val Onellion
Cable Car: Deleted as it will now be handled through Greg Dills at Ely Stage Stop.
Digitization: Kevin Engle
Events: Val Onellion
Ely Stage Stop & Country Museum: Greg Dills
Herndon Cemetery: Kevin Engle
Opportunity drawing: Floriane Chalk
Oral History: Val Onellion & Trish Wilson
Photo & Location: George Stimson & Sandy Collins
Pomo Bulletin: Jan Cook
Publicity: Open
Refreshments: Bonnie Skee
Scholarship: Tony Marchese
Website: George Stimson

Vonn sent Voris a recommendation for the duties of the 1st & 2nd Vice Presidents. Voris asked John and Catherine to confer and advise on that recommendation at the next board meeting scheduled for April 12th.

Voris has received job descriptions and responsibilities from most officers and directors. She needs one for the President, Corresponding Secretary and the District Directors.

Ely Stage Stop & Country Museum: Greg Dills reported that the Ely sign is nearing installation. The next barn will be the blacksmith shop and Greg would like the HS to match the $1000 donation that was received from Elizabeth Paddock. The projected cost of the structure is $10,000. Greg also wants to try to get other donations. Greg is looking for up to 1000 cubic yards of asphalt grindings for the road and parking area.

Pat Ridgel will be helping with the electricity. Greg received a donation of an antique gas engine that he is very excited about. Pam Hendricks has some Lake County 18 month calendars for sale for $10. I believe she sold all she had at our meeting. The Ely barn is on the cover of the Quilt Trail brochure.

Gibson Museum & Cultural Center: Al Neuman who was a resident of Middletown created some unique fencing when he lived there. After his passing the fencing went to Fort Bragg. Greg Dills was able to acquire it and picked it up in Fort Bragg some years ago. The fencing is now at the Ely Stage Stop however the Gibson Museum would like it returned to Middletown. John moved to return the fencing to Middletown once the Gibson Museum has a place to display it, except for the 2 pieces that have been installed, until they can be re-created. A second was made and all approved.

Bob Kauffman explained problems he encountered with 5 windows in the building. Chauncey Gibson’s great nephew donated the funds for new windows which have been installed. Voris said Bob has put in many hours to bring the building to where it is. He said they have a small environmental approved room for archives with a de-humidifier.

Bob also received a bid for the ADA ramp. The County gave them $15,000 for the ramp and door. The Hidden Valley Lake Garden Club is in charge of landscaping. He has ordered two 30 AMP antique light bulbs for $9 each. If they are what he hopes they are, they will be ordering more.

Two display cases were picked up in Lucerne and the black display case that was at the Nice Clubhouse was taken to Middletown along with 8 table top display cases. Those cases are on loan at this time. Calpine has donated 2 more ore carts that they plan to put in front of the Museum. Bob says the floor is stable and they are working on getting it level. The Gibson committee meets every other Wednesday.

Nice Clubhouse: There was a discussion on whether we are going to keep the Clubhouse. No decision has been made at this time. Val, Trish, Jackie, Lee Cook and maybe Ruby Glebe will inventory what we have there and what we can display.

Carnegie Library: Our proposal was the only one received by the City of Lakeport. We are interested and Phil will be in charge of following up on that.

Accession & De-accession: John will chair this and come back to the board with recommendations.

When Voris realized what kind of video camera we have been using for our speakers at meetings, she asked that we stop using it as it is not digital. We do need a new video camera and Kevin thinks they are about $250. It is also needed for oral histories. John pointed out that the people doing oral histories should be computer & video efficient.

Scholarships: Tony reported that we have $700 in the scholarship fund. John moved to allow $300 more from the HS and offer one $1000 scholarship this year. Phil 2nd and it was approved.
Membership: Nick presented his report for the 2013 Thanksgiving meeting. We had 10 households and 7 individuals renew at the meeting for a total of $305. We currently have 358 active members of which 116 are life members. Voris appointed herself along with Catherine, Nick and Jackie to work on what business and corporate memberships include. Also is there interest in including other Lake County organizations.

District Directors need to remind members of their expiration date when they make calls for upcoming general meetings. Vonn will do mass emails for events.

Website: George will work on getting all pertinent links on the website including events, Ely and Gibson. It was suggested that he change the background color occasionally.

Pomo Bulletin: Jan will move the bulk mail permit from Kelseyville to Lakeport as previously agreed. 2015 is LCHS 60th anniversary. Is it too early to start planning for any special events and promotions?

The next 2 Pomo’s will be on Pomo history and culture. Catherine would like a copy to go the local tribes. Val needs extras for events and Nick needs copies for new members. Jackie advised Lee Cook that we need to save 2 issues of every PB. Nina Bushta has been scanning PB’s to be put on the website.

Jackie will send a thank you for our former treasurer, Florence Peck.

Meeting adjourned at 2pm

Respectfully submitted,

Bonnie Skee
Recording Secretary

General Meeting: 4/28/13

General Membership Meeting April 28, 2013
Calpine Visitors Center


Hidden Valley Lake resident, Nina Bouska, spoke about the history of Middletown. Our thanks go to Nina for a very interesting program.

John Parked moved to nominate and elect Linda Lake as our new treasurer. Randy Ridgel seconded and all were in favor.

Respectfully submitted,
Bonnie Skee