Meeting Minutes: 9/14/13


                                                      Board Meeting, September 14, 2013

Nice Clubhouse, 3000 Lakeshore Blvd, Nice

Present:  Phil Smoley, John Parker, Patricia Wilson, Vi Smoley, Voris Brumfield, Nick Voegtly, Vonn Fuqua, Floraine Chalk Jackie Ridgel, Bonnie Skee & Ruby Glebe.

The meeting was brought to order by President Phil Smoley at 10:10am.

The minutes of the August 8th board meeting were opened for discussion.  John moved to approve as written, Patricia 2nd and the minutes were approved.

Treasurers Report:  Linda Lake gave a report via the phone.  Our checking account balance is currently $2524.36 of which $1000 is earmarked for a blacksmith shop at Ely and $422 for the Randy Ridgel fund.  Voris asked about a $200 donation for Gibson Library.  Linda will need to check on that

John asked about having 3 separate accounts.  Linda will talk to accountant Jonathan Meyer.  All agree that we need a budget.  Linda asked that a budget committee be formed.  That committee will consist of Linda Lake, Phil Smoley, Voris Brumfield and Jonathan Meyer.  Nick feels we at least need a preliminary budget established.

John moved to transfer $5000 from our money market fund to our checking account, Voris 2nd and transfer was approved.

Ely Stage Stop & Country Museum:  Greg Dills also gave a report via a phone call.  Greg discussed raffle tickets being sold for the picnic table.  The pad for the Cable Car has been poured.  The County of Lake is funding that.  They are still looking for better rails to set it on.  Greg said the 2 fundraisers that were held at Ely were for specific items but not everyone was aware of that.  Greg asked that we reimburse docent Jim Abell for the golf cart he purchased for $1000.  Bonnie moved to pay Jim Abell $1000 for the golf cart, Nick 2nd and motion was approved.

Trish feels we need a combined meeting with our board and the Ely docents  Phil said he would attend the Ely docent meeting next Wednesday.

New Business:  Voris asked if we had a facebook page and if not the importance of one.  Nick moved to allow Voris to establish and manage a facebook page with event information, etc.  John 2nd and all were in favor.

Floraine is in support of a monument rather than just a plaque for Randy Ridgel and wants to keep asking for donations for it.  She envisions it would be similar to the monument for Stone & Kelsey in Kelseyville.  Voris moved to establish a monument at Ely for Randy and possibly others in the future, John 2nd and the motion was approved.  Floriane collected more donations at our board meeting.

Gibson Library Update:  Voris reported that they have had a third termite report and there are also beetles to contend with.  They meet the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month at 5:30pm.  The Middletown Area Town Hall has approved the proposed Gibson Library project and an ADA bathroom is not necessary since the building has never been closed down.  They are still waiting for the MOU between the County of Lake and the LCHS.

Carnegie Update:  Nothing to report but still in process.

Membership Report:  Nick provided each of us with a report.  From August 9th to September 1st $639 was collected from memberships and donations.  We have a total of 210 paying members which is down about 100 since last year at this time.  This year at the LC Fair 19 members joined or renewed for a total of $345.  In 2012 we had 44 new and renewed memberships at the Fair.  Phil appointed Vonn to help with past due memberships.

Nominating Committee:  Phil, John and Bonnie met and each has a list to contact.  There is nothing to report at this time.

Books:  Vi recently had 2 orders from the Museums.

Pomo Report:  The October issue is in the works.

Pear Festival:  Phil agreed to set up and take down.  Bonnie will work from 9 to 1 and Vi will work from 1 to 4.  Bonnie will try to get more volunteers.

Our next general meeting is scheduled for October 6th.  Phil is still working on a location and a speaker.

Our annual Thanksgiving dinner will be held at the Lucerne Alpine Senior Center if the site is available that day.  Bonnie will make arrangements with the Senior Center.  We still need a speaker.

Nice Clubhouse:  We have a major problem with the plumbing.  Trish advised that Ely docent Jim Adams has offered to repair the plumbing.  Trish will arrange for Jim to access the problem and hopefully make the repairs.

Meeting adjourned at 1:10 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Bonnie Skee